This is the Holy Grail of sandwiches. It is amazing. That is all.
It’s been many years since I created this recipe. I’m no longer vegetarian and have cleaned up my diet considerably. So, we now make it with pastrami or roast beef, and homemade mayo. It is still incredible. You should make it however you can, and enjoy.
Laura’s Crazy-Ass Sandwich
- one hoagie roll, hot dog bun, or in a pinch - two slices of bread (hoagie roll is best, but I made it on a plain English muffin once, too)
- 1/4th cup sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup cranberry relish (either chunky or smooth is fine - I think the smooth from the can is best; homemade might mess up the taste profile)
- 1 Morningstar Farms Griller, defrosted and best toasted in the toaster oven with your bread (NO substitutions. No real meat. Only this GMO goodness will do)
- 2 TB Vegenaise (real mayo might work, but please, for the love of all that is tasty, NOT MIRACLE WHIP!!!)
- 1 generous squirt of spicy brown mustard
Toast your bread choice. Spread both sides with Vegenaise and squirt one side with mustard. On the mustard side, arrange the sauerkraut. On the other side, spread the cranberry relish. When your Griller is ready, put it on the sauerkraut side and smoosh the two sides of bread together.
No, seriously. Make this sandwich. It even has its own fan club on Facebook, so feel free to join once you have a bite.