I’m looking for some satisfying, but healthy snack options…carrot sticks may be healthy, but they’re not very satisfying.
You’ve got a good start with the carrots. Studies have shown that low calorie, high volume foods like vegetables help people feel fuller sooner, without the extra caloric load.
However, the key to a satisfying snack is protein.
Protein keeps you feeling satisfied longer than anything else you can eat. In fact, starting your day with a high protein breakfast (eggs are great!) will help you not be desperate for a snack come 10am.
The golden snack combination is a food with high water and fiber content (most vegetables and some fruits), combined with a lean protein. Choosing something with a little fat is going to help your mouth feel satisfied, too, which will keep the munchies at bay. Here are some ideas:
- Crudites (raw veggie sticks - carrots, celery, bell peppers, broccoli, cucumber - remember to eat the rainbow!) and hummus (you can make a nice Mexican “hummus” by whizzing up a can of black beans with 1/2 a cup of salsa and a dash of cumin!)
- Crudites and baba ganoush (I make a variation of David Lebovitz’s stellar recipe)
- Edamame (a proteinous veggie!), boil and toss in a bag with a bit of sea salt - fun to eat!
- Roasted chickpeas (here is a collection of recipes)
- Three Bean Salad
- Greek yogurt (has more protein than regular) and blueberries
- Cottage cheese with fruit (I never got into that, myself - I prefer a little Frank’s Red Hot on top!)
- A handful of almonds and a peach
- A couple of Medjool dates dipped in almond butter (this is a decadent treat and very filling!)
- Feta cheese (the most nutrient-dense cheese) and sliced cucumbers
- Ants on a log!
- Tuna salad (easy on the mayo, though!) burrito-ed into romaine leaves
- Strawberries filled with (or dipped in) whipped cream cheese (add a drizzle of honey and splash of vanilla extract to the cream cheese for a cheesecake-like experience)
- Red bell peppers and a skim of Neufchatel cheese (it’s lighter than regular - but without the nasty fillers of “fat free” - cream cheese) rolled up in deli turkey slices
- An apple and an ounce of extra sharp cheddar
- Steamed artichoke dipped in garlicky feta aoli (mash feta up with enough olive oil to make it dip-able, and add as much fresh-pressed garlic as you want!)
- A hard boiled egg - the perfect food! Mmmmm….now I’m feeling hungry! I hope this helps your tummy get through the day more cheerfully!