My whole family has been varying degrees of sick this week.
My 6 year old kicked it off with a crazy, croup-like cough that kept us both up basically all night the first night. Honestly, nothing I tried worked for her that night (and believe me, I subjected her to all kinds of crazy stuff!). Cold air from the open window alternating with the warm moist air from a bowl of steaming water helped keep the cough at bay for about 10 minutes at a time. But that was it. It was a long, long night.
The next day, I called my naturopath who said, “Yup, it’s a nasty cough that has lingered for a lot of my patients. Keep doing what you’re doing!” Not the panacea I was hoping to get from her, but comforting words nonetheless!
I made sure everyone had their immunity boosting remedies. That meant Terrible Tea for my husband (I just desperately swallowed raw garlic cloves whole); a spoonful of raw honey with Cod Liver Oil for my nearly-3 year old (I simply swallow the capsules); and the kids’ regular Emergen-C, grapefruit seed extract, vitamin D3 drops cocktail (to which I added Echinacea & Goldenseal as a special short-term boost).
My 6 year old really likes the Zand’s Elderberry + Zinc “Herbalozenges” - they are part cough drop, part supplement, and really help soothe a tired throat without pouring refined sugar into it.
The remedies that worked for us this week are as follows:
- Drosera Rotundifolia - a homeopathic by Boiron indicated for “spasmodic dry cough worsened at night and by heat.”
- Similasan Kids Cough Relief Syrup - another homeopathic that totally killed her nighttime cough on night two (I didn’t have it on the first night!). This is a new one for me and I’m really impressed.
- Traditional Medicinals Herba Tussin Herbal Tea - she’s picky about tastes, and not even a couple tablespoons of raw honey made this palatable for her enough to drink more than a small concentrated dose, but even that much really seemed to help.
- Young Living’s R.C. Essential Oil Blend - I diffused this at first, which didn’t seem to have any effect whatsoever. But when I applied it (cut with a drop or two of jojoba oil) directly to her throat and chest and soles of her feet, it was quite effective. Last night, when my sinus congestion was untouched by neti pot, hot shower steam, and copious amounts of nose blowing, the R.C. oil cleared out my sinuses in about 10 minutes. Amazing stuff! (I’m a YL member and you can become one too, to get better prices and promotions. Sign up here and use my member number when you do: 1314368.)
- Hyland’s Hepar Sulph. Calc. - I stopped my sneezing cold with this homeopathic remedy. Sadly, it was the only dose left from my Hyland’s Kids’ Kit. Luckily, I can buy replacements for anything in that amazing little kit!
- Hylands Homeopathic, Cold ‘n Cough 4 Kids - since I’m pregnant and have limited options as to drugs I can use (not that I go that route too often), I’ve been using this little product to combat the ridiculous head cold symptoms I’m suffering from. The sneezing is almost constant, even with frequent breaks for emptying my sinuses with the neti pot. While it doesn’t quite take away all of my congestion, the sneezing and sinus pressure is gone. I really appreciate that it doesn’t have a fake “kid-friendly” flavor like cherry or bubblegum. It’s just mildly sweet.
- Gargling with 3% concentration Hydrogen Peroxide - totally killed my sore throat. I was amazed! I’ve always done the warm salt water gargle, which works much more gradually. I’ll probably never return to that method as long as I have that brown bottle in my cupboard!
- Propolis Spray - also really effective for a sore throat. Propolis is the resin that bees collect to protect their hives; it’s a powerful natural antibiotic and antimicrobial substance. This spray tastes horrible. It stings like crazy on contact. But after the initial gag reflex is over, you’ll notice your throat has been majorly soothed.
- Zoe Organics’ Breathe Balm - I was fortunate enough to receive a sample of this new ZO product so I could give Heather feedback on it, and it couldn’t have arrived at a better time. I really got to put it to work. You are going to love it! The package design allows for easy middle-of-the-night application, and the essential oils do a wonderfully soothing work for coughs and sore throats.
- Boiron’s Coldcalm - I currently have my husband (who is usually the last one to succumb to whatever is raging through our family) on this homeopathic remedy. It’s a gentle way to soften the symptoms of a cold without resorting to heavier-handed OTC drugs that knock you out completely.
- Gypsy Cold Care Tea - in between his daily cups of coffee, I’ll be encouraging him to drink this great-tasting, symptom soothing tea. My Naturopath cleared it for me to drink during pregnancy, so I have been having a cup or so a day, too.
There you have it, a comprehensive shopping list of all the remedies that worked for my family this week. I use Amazon links mainly so you can see what I’m talking about, but feel free to purchase through my links knowing that I get a teensy little kickback as an Amazon Affiliate! I’m also a Young Living member and you can become one too, to get better prices and promotions. Sign up here (here’s a handy step by step guide) and use my member number when you do: 1314368.
Oh, and lest you forget: I’m not a doctor. I’m not prescribing any of this stuff. I don’t know what is wrong with you or your kid - if you have any questions or concerns about your family’s health, you really should be talking to your doctor or naturopath about it! :)